Friday, May 30, 2014

adventure: an exciting experience


It has been a crazy fast year. I am famous for saying "can you believe that..." to Josh and he always smiles and nods and says "yes, I can believe that." In this case, however, I am serious when I say I can't believe how fast this past year has gone. We are starting to talk about our first anniversary and I feel like we blinked. The year has gone fast, but the days have sometimes gone slow. We have had such a fun first year of marriage. And a fun first year of living in the same place (same apartment for that matter!) after two years of being apart. The little joys of sharing day to day life has been quite fun. We've learned about ourselves, about ministry, about friendships, we've traveled and we've made life decisions together. Praying together to see where the Lord would lead us in so many things...

One of those things was where to live. I have really enjoyed my time in Northern Virginia but the Lord had been nudging Josh and I to start praying about what might be next. And so we did, and He led. After many prayers and conversations -- we've felt called to make a move to Richmond, Virginia! RVA is the capital of this fine state and it is right in the middle of both of our families. We have SO many friends already in Richmond. One of the main reasons we loved this city is because of the community we see there with our friends. When we visit, we feel welcomed and known-- something that has been harder for us as a couple in Northern Va. I felt the Lord telling me it was ok to move and leave and that He had YL in his hands. He has already blessed this place with a wonderful new Staff person. Josh has a job lined up for when we move in August and I'm pursuing some options trusting that the Lord will lead me to the right fit. I am excited to see what God calls us to next as we live out our lives and marriage in ministry for Him. He may use us in a new Church, or to love our new neighbors or maybe with students in Richmond. It is exciting for us to think about that future.

One of the greatest gifts I have received while working for Young Life, is having people believe in me. Because of faithful prayers, I have been able to share the Gospel with broken, lost high school students. But I also have been changed by what God has done in my own heart. He has stretched me. He has made me uncomfortable and I’ve learned that is ok. He has begun to break me of my desire to be perfect. (still working on that one.) He has given me opportunities to trust him. He has taught me that HE fights for me, if I only be still. The idea of rest in the Lord was something I didn’t quite get. I like to fight for myself, show my strong side, be perfect. But I have learned that He fights the battle for me. I have seen generosity displayed in the fullest extent from those around me in the YL community here. I have walked alongside friends as we share the Gospel to a lost population of high school students, who are being worn down under constant pressure. These three years have been so sweet.They have been an adventure.

As I was thinking on my time here, I remember how I didn’t want to move here. Because I didn’t pick it, it sort of felt like God didn’t choose His best for me. Man, was I wrong. Moving to Loudoun County to do YL was God’s BEST for me these three years. I am so glad HE is the author and I am not. I am so glad that when I didn’t want to go to JMU, He brought me. He is the author. And He weaves all things together because He knows the ending. He knows each chapter, each character and the greater story.

I am so grateful. I am also so excited for this next adventure with Josh. To learn a new city together. A new church, new friendships. To build a life in Richmond as long as God calls us there.

Before we leave, I am heading to a month at Lake Champion to be a Summer Staff boss. I will get to go to camp with my own high school students, and then spend a few weeks before we say our goodbyes. These next few months will be an adventure. Here is to trusting more with each day that comes...


“Does it make sense to pray for guidance about the future if we are not obeying in the thing that lies before us today? How many momentous events in Scripture depended on one person's seemingly small act of obedience! Rest assured: Do what God tells you to do now, and, depend upon it, you will be shown what to do next.” -Elisabeth Elliot

No comments:

Post a Comment