Thursday, February 23, 2012

You've got to earn that.

Don't we hear that all the time? You have to work hard and you'll earn that A, that pay check, that approval, that playing time.... I am so stuck in this mentality of trying to earn acceptance of the Lord. I feel like I have to work hard to earn more of God's love. I think my mind thinks I have received some of God's love but maybe He is withholding some of it because I have not worked hard enough for it. THIS IS A COMPLETE LIE. Even as I type that, I have a hard time really believing that. It just goes against everything else in the world. But doesn't the entire Gospel? Doesn't all of what and who Jesus is go against the rest of the world?

I just started a book called "In the Name of Jesus" by Henri Nouwen and he says this,

"The great message that we have to carry, as ministers of God's Word and followers of Jesus, is that God loves us not because of what we do or accomplish, but because God has created and redeemed us in love and has chosen us to proclaim that love as the true source of all human life."

This quote just resonated with me this morning. I want to really believe this. Something I am praying for and learning daily.

1 comment: